Monday 6 January 2014

Moist Banana Bread - the best yet

Every year my mom bakes loaves and loaves of banana bread as people flood to take them off her hands. This recipe is by far the best banana bread I've ever tasted. I wouldn't say that lightly as I find myself to be quite the critic. This recipe is awesome! I would suggest that people who generally don't like banana bread taste this one first before making their final decision on the matter.

125g margarine
250ml sugar
5ml vanilla essence
2 eggs
4 bananas, mashed
500ml flour
5ml baking powder
5ml bicarbonate of soda
125ml boiling water
165ml chopped walnuts (optional) - I personally don't use it

Cream margarine and sugar together. 
Add vanilla essence, well beaten eggs and mashed bananas. Beat together. 
Add sifted flour and baking-powder, then the soda dissolved in hot water. 
Mix well. 
Add the chopped nuts. 
Pour into a well greased 23cm loaf pan and take at 180°C for 45 minutes - 1 hour. 

What really makes this banana bread the best ever, is using over ripe bananas. Not pitch black, but already starting to caramelize slightly. Border line throw aways...

This banana bread also freezes amazingly. Just remove and allow to defrost naturally. 



No comments:

Post a Comment